Tuesday 7 August 2012

Shifting Your Perspective



I always seem to find big breaks from caption writing.  And while at times they are necessary due to real life happenings, more often it's writer's block.  Okay, well I could honestly write for a while.  I think the real issue here is boredom with telling essentially the same story outline for captions:

In an earlier post, I mentioned the use of pre-established universes in captions and their role to us as caption artists.  One of my favorite universes to caption in has been the great shift--the paranormal event that causes most of the people in the world to switch bodies with someone else.  While this universe offers a lot of things to play with, the story eventually becomes the same.  Additionally, the reality of a great shift caption would be horrific, and turns many people off from the captions.

In today's caption, I tried something different.  This is a piece I made for Dementia back at the Haven, and it began as a Great Shift caption, but I eventually morphed it into a brand new universe.  I didn't explain the new universe--in fact I'm saving it later and working on a TG fiction story for it--but it made this caption work.  This also seemed to be a favorite on the Haven of how a sentimental caption could work in lieu of being silly or saucy.