Sunday 24 February 2013

5 Years - A Kaity Special

In this post, you're going to see 5 different captions.  One from each year I've been creating.  Enjoy them for what they are.  I'm posting these mostly because I like looking at how I've changed with my story-telling, caption templates and style overall.





A very early creation for Courtney on the Haven.  If memory serves, I had only been trading for a couple of months.  I went very generic with the photo and text in white space.  I do remember saying to myself very early on that a caption should not exceed one photo--the story should be self-contained, unless it is a multi-caption story.



In 2010, I began sometimes incorporating multiple photos in the same caption.  More importantly, I began putting my name to my work.  I had started branching out a bit from my comfort zones, and would play around with some more options in style.


2011...  The year of the border.  I was quite fond of the colored border around my captions.  I had even grown to a point where different colors represented different universes, but eventually I phased that idea out.  I felt this border helped signify my captions.  Also, this was the year my faerie marker was introduced (Thanks to AshleyM).




2012...  Well, I still blame Rachel (Yes, the Rachel of the Haven), but themes and photos over what I considered as an 'R' rating began leaking in to my work.  2012 was when it became rather prominent.  I suggest it represents that I had fully grown into things.  I also began a new technique I had seen in some other captions, allowing me to use larger pictures and/or two pictures with one faded enough to read text on top.  I feel like I perfected this and carried it into this year.


Feb 2013 - At this point, I've been blending the old with the new, allowing a photo to pop from the background, which is itself a faded image.  I've just began using this technique, and still have some issues to work on, but overall it looks very crisp and new without sacrificing any elements.



So that's it.  Five years of captioning.  I'll probably post something similar in the future.  Maybe captions made for someone over the years, or perhaps captions from a universe.  Hopefully, even if you just read the captions, this was an enjoyable post for you.